Communications Manager, WCAAP
Since June, WCAAP members have held Zoom meetings with 33 legislators from all corners of Washington, laying the groundwork for success in the 2021 legislative session. We initially feared COVID-related cuts to health and human services and wanted to encourage lawmakers to protect children and families as budget cuts were considered. Luckily, state revenue was not as heavily impacted as anticipated, so no cuts were made, but these meetings proved to be an opportune time to share with legislators what our patients and families were experiencing as a result of the pandemic. Legislators were grateful for a look “behind the curtain” and continue to be very receptive to meeting with WCAAP members.
As we get closer to the 2021 session, we have been sharing our 2021 legislative priorities with legislators. We will approach the session with the understanding that the pandemic has created a difficult budget scenario but steadfast in our commitment to health equity and especially to access to care for all children. We hope you will join us for our 2021 Advocacy Day on February 5 – it will be virtual this year, so you can participate from the comfort of your home or clinic instead of making the trip to Olympia.
- Meet your legislators! We can help set up Zoom meetings – just fill out this form by November 6 and identify up to 5 dates you are free Nov-Dec: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfg5ONkNGW444b24uBZj-MqN4S_5wFTIfHrQ7mk70qoO433Cw/viewform
- Share your patient stories! Email Jennifer Donahue or fill out this form: https://forms.gle/AKspwtdpuwiYhHeS7
- Register for Advocacy Day, February 5: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wcaap-2021-advocacy-day-tickets-93221392695
- Sign up to testify at committee hearings in the legislature: https://forms.gle/77yLa2oQW3XKxvcC6
- Download the VoterVoice app to get Action Alert notifications sent right to your phone: https://wcaap.org/advocacy/wcaap-action-center-app/