Be an Advocate
We welcome your involvement! There are many ways to be an advocate:
1. Sign up to receive action alerts by email.
2. Join our legislative committee. We meet by phone – weekly during the legislative session and monthly outside of session. To learn more, contact Legislative Committee Co-Chair Dr. Lelach Rave.
3. Come to Olympia for our 2020 Advocacy Day. Save the date: January 20,2019!
- Raising the legal age to purchase tobacco and nicotine products to 21
- Elimination of personal/philosophical exemptions for MMR vaccine for school entry
- Passage of updated distracted driving laws
- Establishment of a single phone line referral resource for children on Apple Health with behavioral health needs
- Increase of the Medicaid rate to at least 75% of Medicare for pediatric care
- Participation in the Children’s Mental Health Work Group to make recommendations to the legislature
- Ensured payment for developmental and autism screens for children on Medicaid
The WCAAP employs a lobbyist in Olympia to advocate for a child-friendly legislative agenda in our state, and Chapter members frequently testify in Olympia and meet with legislators. We also hold an annual advocacy day to familiarize members with legislators, current legislative priorities and ways to influence the legislative process.