We are advocates for ALL of Washington’s children and champion policies that advance equity and improve child health and well-being. There are many ways to be an advocate:
- Respond to action alerts that we send out during the legislative session.
- Join our legislative committee. We meet via Zoom – weekly during the legislative session and monthly outside of session. To learn more, contact Jennifer Donahue.
- Participate in our annual Advocacy Day – on January 23, 2023 we are planning a full day of education and action in Olympia!
- Improved access to care by increasing Medicaid rates to parity with Medicare for pediatric care
- Extended postpartum Medicaid coverage to 1 year
- Passage of a working families tax credit
- Elimination of personal/philosophical exemptions for MMR vaccine for school entry
- Increased age to purchase tobacco and nicotine products to 21
- Passage of updated distracted driving laws
- Increased access to free meals in schools
- Establishment of a single phone line referral resource for children on Apple Health with behavioral health needs
- Participation in the Children’s Mental Health Work Group to make recommendations to the legislature
- Payment for developmental and autism screens for children on Medicaid
The WCAAP employs a lobbyist in Olympia to advocate for an equity-focused, child-friendly legislative agenda in our state, and Chapter members frequently testify in Olympia and meet with legislators.