Washington’s Mental Health Referral Service for Children and Teens connects patients and families with evidence-supported outpatient mental health services in their community. This free, telephone-based referral service is funded by Washington Healthcare Authority and operated by Seattle Children’s.
The Mental Health Referral Service will provide thorough mental health referrals for children and teens 17 and younger from across Washington.
How do families access the Washington Mental Health Referral Service for Children and Teens?
- Families can call 833-303-5437, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time, to connect with a referral specialist.
- We will ask your patient for information including their mental health needs, location and health insurance plan.
- See information for patients and families about the referral service.
What can patients and families expect?
- Within 7 business days a referral specialist will call and email the family with information on at least 2 providers.
- Two weeks after providing the referrals, a referral specialist will contact the family to see if they were able to make an appointment and ask if additional resources are needed.
- If no appointment has been made, we will try to address any barriers or link the family to another provider.
For Primary Care Providers
- As part of your PAL consultation call, you can request that we connect your patient with mental health providers in their local area who can meet their needs. We will ask about your patient’s needs, location and health insurance plan.
- A request will be sent to the Washington Mental Health Referral Service for Children and Teens. A referral specialist will then reach out to the family.
- Referral information provided to your patient will also be faxed to you.
If You Are Not a Primary Care Provider
If you’re not a PCP, please have the family call the Washington Mental Health Referral Service for Children and Teens directly at 833-303-5437.
Note from Bob Hilt: Primary care providers can still just call the Partnership Access Line (PAL) as they always have before, and we will engage the refer assist team or connect them directly with one of our refer assist reps. Please share the refer assist phone number (833-303-5437) with patients and families, rather than the PAL phone line. We want to keep the PAL line itself as only for providers.