“Climate change is the greatest global health threat facing the world in the 21st century, but it is also the greatest opportunity to redefine the social and environmental determinants of health.”The Lancet Countdown on health and climate change
Children are especially vulnerable to climate change-driven exposures like extreme heat and wildfire smoke. Pediatricians can play a crucial role in equipping children and families to adapt to a changing climate, as well as advocating to ensure a healthy world for children to grow up in.
Pediatrics-focused policy statements and resources.
- AAP Policy Statement on Global Climate Change and Children’s Health
- AAP Video: Our Children, Our Future
- A pediatrician’s guide to climate change-informed care, Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care
- The intersection of pediatrics, climate change, and structural racism: Ensuring health equity through climate justice, Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care
- Lancet Countdown: Tracking Progress on Health and Climate Change 2021 Report
Information about climate change and child health for parents and families.
Get involved and help tackle climate change.
- Washington Pediatricians for Climate Action is involved in legislative advocacy, ecosystem restoration efforts and more. Email email@example.com to get involved.
- The Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health
- Healthcare Without Harm: “Do No Harm” video
- AAP Council on Environmental Health and Climate Change
- AAP Climate Change Listserv